"" The girl who makes things: 70s Retro

Wednesday, 14 August 2013

70s Retro

Looking for vintage patterns? Live near Leeds? Look no further, I've found a place. It's Retro Boutique on Hyde Park corner. An Aladdin's cave of antique furniture and vintage clothes, you could get lost in there for hours, which is exactly what I did last Sunday.



I didn't mean to go, I really didn't. My addiction to sewing is already blowing a sizeable hole in my salary, but when I cycled past this shop, I couldn't resist having a look. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't easy looking for vintage sewing patterns here. It's the kind of place you could do a circuit of around 5 times and still see something different each time you look. On my fifth time of looking, however, I managed to come across these babies.



Yes, while on my hands and knees, crawling around the shop, I opened a cupboard and found a massive stash of 70s sewing magazines. Excitement! Well, I could have asked the shop keeper how much it cost to take the whole lot home, but I managed some restraint. Instead I spent about an hour carefully going through each one and made a selection of two magazines I really wanted.



They are beautifully illustrated and full of useful sewing tips and instructions. Each magazine comes with an original 70s pattern for you to use. I've been thinking about making a winter coat for a while now and the design of this pea coat is really cute. I'll definitely be using it.



Not entirely sure about this daring number though? Did people really wear that?!


3 comments:

  1. This place is pretty amazing, good work on finding the pattern books though, I usually just end up falling in love with ridiculously huge/expensive bits of furntiture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know, they do have some beautiful furniture there though.

      Delete