"" The girl who makes things: Sewing for a night out...

Friday, 9 August 2013

Sewing for a night out...

It's been a productive weekend sewing wise. I'm trying to train myself out of buying new clothes, particularly for special occasions, and instead try and make them from scratch. Every time I have the urge to buy a new dress I think 'no, I'll make it'. Strangely enough, since doing this I've become more aware of the shops on the high street and the clobber they try and flog us on a daily basis. There was an article I read in the Guardian recently called 'Admit it. You love cheap clothes. And you don't care about child slave labour'. If you haven't read it, I'd suggest you do. It highlights the despicably low income of many of the factory workers who make our clothes. Now I'm not trying to claim that I sew my own clothes for entirely selfless reasons. I do it because I enjoy it. But it does make you minful of what you wear and who's hands your clothes might once have been in. When making your own clothes you know you're not exploiting anyone, although I can't vouch for the workers who made the fabric. At the very least you know that you're taking one group of potentially exploited indivduals out of the chain.

So, when my friend suggested we go on a big night out in York this weekend, it presented the perfect opportunity for me to make something a bit nicer than the usual. I've been wanting to make the dress from this pattern for a while, all I needed was the fabric. I wanted something fairly heavy weight and satiny. Something that looked expensive.



To my luck I discovered this beautiful fabric on a stall in Leeds market. And it was discounted to £2.85 per metre! I'm not going to lie, it wasn't easy sewing, it did fray quite a bit, but, hey, I made something wearable.



There were only two alterations I made to the pattern. I shortened the skirt to make it more going-outy and I decided to do a V neck. I don't know why, I guess I thought it would look too heavy with a high neckline.



So, there goes my new night out dress, now I just need to wear it.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following me Rachael. I'm following you now on Bloglovin. I look forward to reading your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! Loved reading your blog :)

      Delete