"" The girl who makes things: Four dresses

Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Four dresses

I'm probably not alone in this, but I have a confession to make: I love weddings. It is of some grievance to me that I've only ever been to TWO weddings in my whole life. My older peers keep telling me to wait until I'm at 'that age' when everyone gets married. But I'm not there yet. Or maybe I don't have the kind of friends who want to get married? I don't particularly want to get married myself. I just want to go to a fooking great big party with lots of pretty dresses, flowers, dancing, booze and food. Everyone seems to go to weddings every summer apart from me!

This is why I was so happy when Big Sis announced her engagement last May. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm going to be making the four bridesmaids dresses. I'm excited and a teeny bit daunted about this project. Excited about having so many sewing projects and daunted because this is the first family wedding in about 20 years and I don't want to mess up! Luckily Big Sis isn't in the least bit bridezillaish and has put her complete faith and trust in my design and sewing skills. I just hope I don't let her down.

Big Sis is having her wedding dress made by a professional dressmaker. It's going to be a long, 1950s style gown with a lace overlay and capped sleeves. The wedding's going to be quite a relaxed and simple affair with a vintage/country twist.

She decided she wanted each bridesmaid to have a different coloured dress and style. Well, we are all different heights, shapes and skin tones so it didn't make sense for us to be uniform! I came up with some sketches of how I wanted them to look:


I'll be using the Vogue pattern V8766. It's such a simple pattern, it could almost be classed as pattern blocks. What I really liked about it was the scope to mix and match the different parts of the dress so that each bridesmaid could choose exactly what they wanted. 


I've emailed the sketches round the other bridesmaids and asked them for their thoughts and measurements. Once I've got their answers, I'll get going with the toiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment