"" The girl who makes things: Second Anna Dress - The Plaid Edition

Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Second Anna Dress - The Plaid Edition

Hello! It's been a while since I've posted. I've been very busy with one thing and another, and although I've had time to sew, I haven't much time to blog about it. So, without further delay, here's my latest make:



I've used the Anna Dress pattern from By Hand London and the fabric is grey and purple wool plaid. I've added a lining to prevent the skirt from riding up and help protect my skin from the itchy wool fabric.



Now, I'm not going to lie, I'm not the biggest fan of this creation. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I didn't just abandon the project as I've done with so many other half finished items of clothing. I'm glad I pushed it through to the end. But boy, this was not an easy dress to make.

The problem is the fabric. It started when I washed the it and found that my washing machine and everything in it was covered in tiny little bits of grey fibre. It didn't stop there either. From then on everything it touched was covered in fibre dust. Ironing board, floors, table, chairs, bed linen all succumbed to the shower of dust.



The second problem was my complete inexperience with plaid. I had terrible problems trying to make the horizontal and vertical lines match up. I had to unpick the whole skirt at one point and re-cut the pieces to try and make it look more symmetrical. In the end I decided just to concentrate on the making the front look OK. As you can see from the side shoulder seam, though, the dress is far from perfect.



I don't know about you, but when I'm really not liking a project I tend to just rush it off to try and get the damn thing finished, which is probably why the back seams are a bit crap.

But, hey, as a wise person once told me (I think) if you never fail at something, you never get the chance to learn and improve. So, I'm putting this down to experience.


2 comments:

  1. I like the dress, the plaid is kinda cool. I wouldn't stress about mismatching stripes, a lot of RTW wear clothes do not have matching stripes and people are still happy to wear them aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great! I haven't seen the Anna dress in a heavy material but it looks stellar!

    ReplyDelete