"" The girl who makes things: Changing paths

Sunday, 8 December 2013

Changing paths

This isn't a sewing related post for once, although I feel like I need to write something about it in case you wonder why things get different around here in the new year.


Basically, I'm changing direction! I've handed in my notice at my job, signed up to do a CELTA course (that's teaching English as a foreign language qualification) and I'll be heading out of the UK around late February/beginning of March 2014 to teach English abroad. Don't know where I'll be going yet, I need to qualify first, but the plan is to stay in Europe. I'll be qualifying and leaving with my boyfriend, so I won't be all on my own.

It's all very scary, but I know it's absolutely what I want to do. I knew it had to be now or never, before I started thinking about things like careers, mortgages, children, settling down etc. This year's given me a bit of time to reflect on things. When I left University I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life. I thought about doing lots of different things - art gallery curating, marketing, HR, teaching... Nothing really appealed, I felt like it would be easier if someone told me what job to get and I could just get it and not have to make a choice. So I took a bit of time out. I went travelling and did some work experience and internship placements. By the time it that was all over, my main objective was quite simple: to get a full time job and move out of my parent's house. I achieved that and then it was like 'now what?'

I've had some good experiences in my current job. I've made some lifelong friends and learnt some valuable lessons about the world of work. But some how, staying put just seemed wrong. When making life decisions (corny as it sounds) I like to imagine myself as an old lady on her death bed looking back on her life. I try to imagine what I'd be proud of and what I'd regret. I'd be proud of living in another country and learning a second language. It's a romantic dream, but why does it have to be a dream? That's when I knew what I needed to do.

There was only one thing that concerned me about travelling - would I still be able to sew? Seriously, this worried me for weeks. I thought of all sorts of solutions, from shipping out my sewing machine to going cold turkey for a year. In the end I bought my tiny little red sewing machine - small, light and cheap enough for me to pop in my suitcase. Which means that I can still carry on blogging! In fact, this could add a whole new dimension to my blog - the trials and tribulations of travel sewing.

Which leads me to my next question: should I keep this blog or start a new one? Well, there's still some time to mull it over. For the time being I'm trying to concentrate on tying ends up at work, seeing as many friends and family as possible and learning some god damn English grammar (why did I not learn it at school?!).

So that's it folks. I won't mention it again until the time comes for me to depart. A new and exciting journey lies ahead!

7 comments:

  1. How exciting! Good luck! Good that you will be able to carry on sewing and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy, yes, I'm glad I won't have to give it up!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the CELTA - they are hard work but well worth it. I've been an ESL/EFL teacher for about 20 years and lived and worked in South East Asia, South America and the Middle East. It completely changed my life - and me. You are about to embark on a wonderful adventure and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gaye, it's so encouraging to hear about someone else doing CELTA and loving it. I'm so scared, but excited!

      Delete
  3. How exciting! I've got friends who did that for a few years and have sworn it is only ever a brilliant adventure and learning experience. Enjoy your course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy, I'm going to miss Leeds though. Hopefully I'll find another Kirkgate Market where ever I land!

    ReplyDelete