"" The girl who makes things: Hits and Misses 2013

Thursday, 26 December 2013

Hits and Misses 2013

Happy Boxing Day everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas, I certainly did, and I'm about to go over to my sister's for more Christmas Day feasting at her house. One thing I've noticed about growing up is how Christmas has become this elaborate action plan to try and fit in lots of different Christmases into a small space of time - my boyfriend's family, my family, my extended family... I remember a time when I just stayed at home for Christmas and watched TV. Not that it isn't lovely seeing everyone, but man is it tiring.

Time for a little quiet reflection. I've loved reading about other blogger's hits and misses for 2013, it's so interesting to see what people would consider a success or a failure. (Although I don't understand how Morgan from Crab & Bee could think anything she makes is a failure, I covet all of her clothes)

I don't feel like I have too much to say about my makes as I only started this blog back in June. I've got lots of plans for 2014 though, which I'll write up in another post! For the time being here are my highs and lows:

Hits:
Polly Top from By Hand London


I'm probably not alone in saying that BHL is my favourite pattern label. Everything about their company is awesome - their gorgeous patterns, their excellent tutorials, their proactive social networking and the fact that their all incredibly lovely people. This pattern was free online - when I saw it I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it: heart shape the front panel. This led to a bit of BHL attention and a pattern hack tutorial on how to do something similar. Thanks ladies!

Megan's Bridesmaids dress


It started with a conversation on the train to work. Megan was a bridesmaid for her friend's wedding, she was allocated a colour of the rainbow: purple. There were no purple dresses in the shops and she was beginning to panic. I said I'd make her one, we started a Pinterest board, went shopping for fabric and a couple of weeks later the dress was born. This was a technical under taking. I'd never worked with lace before and had to hand stitch a lot of the dress, which was surprisingly therapeutic. I felt like everything came together and Megan was so pleased with it, she's worn it on a number of occasions since.

The colour block coat


This is my most worn item, obviously, as since it's winter and I need to wear coats. Again it was a technical challenge, but surprisingly not too difficult. If you haven't made a coat yet, I'd suggest you do so!

Playsuit


I love, love, love this pattern. It's was so easy to sew, and the outcome is so versatile and easy to wear. I hope to make this again, maybe the jumpsuit version?

Misses:
The summer dress


Readers, I committed a cardinal sin here. I didn't wash the fabric before I made this dress. Sometimes I cut corners in sewing, but I think I learnt my hardest lesson with this make. I did like the dress when I first made it, and I wore it quite a bit, but as soon I gave it a wash, the whole thing shrunk, making the braid oversized on the hemline and sleeves, and the dress too tight for my body. Kids, wash your fabrics.

Plaid Anna


Bastard dress. The more time passes the less I like it. Lets start with the construction: the plaids were difficult to match and I had to re-cut most of the skirt. The fabric: it sheds tiny bits of fluff which makes my flat dusty and the colours completely wash me out. When I wear it I feel frumpy. Enough said.

So, that's it for 2013 folks! Roll on 2014 and all the delightful sewing it may bring.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, you're so kind! Thanks! It looks like you had an amazing 2013. I loved your Polly and color-blocked coat, but somehow missed your bridesmaid dress. It's so impressive, and how exciting she's worn it more than once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's lovely when you make something for someone and they really like it. I might have to do more of this next year!

      Delete