"" The girl who makes things: Sew the Perfect Fit: Craftsy Review

Monday, 24 March 2014

Sew the Perfect Fit: Craftsy Review

Afternoon folks, I hope you've been enjoying the fine weather we've had today (in Leeds at any rate). I thought I'd just write a quick post about Craftsy, as I've just finished watching a course and I had some thoughts.

My mother dearest recently bought me the 'Sew the Perfect Fit by Lynda Maynard' course for my birthday. It was definitely in my top 5 wish list. I wouldn't exactly call myself a beginner sewist, I've been sewing since I can remember, but my problem is always fit. Especially trying to assess the fit of a garment. I literally have no idea how to judge if someone has a 'forward rolling shoulder' or needs a 'full bust adjustment'. I can just about get away taking in the side seams, but that's pretty much it.

Sew the Perfect Fit

As you might already know I'm sewing four bridesmaids for my sister's wedding, using the exact same pattern Lynda uses in the demo. I have to say, I wish I'd watched the course before I got started on the dresses because there is so much I didn't know about fitting and pattern alteration. In fact, I wish I could start again.

Lynda begins the course by taking you through body measurement. Standard stuff if you've been sewing for a while, although I don't always take the high bust measurement. She then picks a size which fits most of the model's measurements, particularly the bodice. Most notably, she doesn't grade between sizes (something I've done for a while). She picks one size and makes a muslin. Lynda's careful to emphasize the importance of drawing horizontal and vertical lines on the garment to check the fit. The next succession of lessons involve cutting up the muslin and inserting pieces of fabric into the gaps which are created in the fitting process. This was pretty easy to follow and the lines on the garment really helped to see where there were fitting issues.

The biggest revelation for me, though, was seeing how the adjustments on the muslin were transferred to the pattern pieces. There is a hell of an amount of geometry involved. When ever I've needed to extend a side seam, for example, I've always just measured out from the side seam and extended from there. I've been mistaken it seems. The proper alteration is to cut a line directly into the pattern piece and then add the extension there. A much more logical process. I didn't sew along with Lynda, I don't have enough time at the moment, but once I get round to doing it I'll need to pause over the pattern alteration bits. They took some getting my head around.

So what did I learn about the 'Perfect Fit'? Well, there's a lot of stuff I didn't know I didn't know. Particularly pattern alteration and assessing fit. I don't think I could confidently sew the perfect fit yet, but another watch through Lynda's course while sewing along and I think I'd be on the right track.

Overall, though, the course is excellent and very thorough, I'd certainly recommend it to an experienced sewer. I loved the interactive chat forums too - a brilliant way to ask questions and share ideas. Did I have any gripes? Only one: I don't like the use of the imperial measurement system and Lynda did all of her calculations in inches. I'm sorry to my American cousins, I know you love your inches, but surely using centimeters is so much easier?! Once you start talking about adding 5/8 to 3/4 you've completely lost me.

So that's it for my first Craftsy experience! Do let me know if you've ever tried Craftsy and what your thoughts were.


1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! http://pellymellypatterns.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete