"" The girl who makes things: Back to Simplicity

Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Back to Simplicity

Finally, a project post! I finished these two dresses a while ago but I haven't had any time to take photos or write about them. I've been so busy with teaching lately, it's difficult to summon the energy to sew, photograph and blog every project. I am determined to make a bit more effort though, especially after seeing all the amazing Me Made May posts out there.

So we'll start with the most recent project, a Simplicity 1419:


The fabric was a birthday present from my Auntie. She gave me a big stash of cotton (she knows me well) and this was definitely my favourite. I'm a big fan of the indie pattern companies, I love the Anna Dress, everything from Collette and I've recently purchased a pattern from Named Clothing which I've been hankering after for a while. It's always good, however, to come back to one of Big Four. I find it difficult to go wrong with a good, basic Simplicity pattern and this was no exception.



And the pattern is very straight forward: a basic bodice and a box pleated skirt. I liked the addition of a keyhole neckline which made me think of 60s dresses - perfect for this print. I made my usual alterations - a small bust adjustment and a slight narrowing of the bodice, but apart from that everything else stayed the same. In case your interested in how I did the small bust adjustment, look up Moonbeam's tutorial on the subject. You can't beat it!



I loved this pattern so much that I actually made two dresses. This was my first attempt, again using some birthday fabric:


You can't see the fabric in detail from this photo, but it's a kind of lime green and brown geometric print - again rather 60s. This was before I did the small bust adjustment so the dress doesn't fit quite as well as I wanted it to, but it's still wearable.

Anyways, it look like the sun's finally made an appearance for once so I'm off out. Hope you have a good day and enjoy the weather!

10 comments:

  1. They're both gorgeous dresses - they had me googling for the pattern straight away! I especially like the blue one, but they're both lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that one's my favourite too..

      Delete
  2. They're so cute! I love the keyhole neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both dresses are great. The pattern is gorgeous and I love the print and colour of the blue fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, I like it too, a very good choice!

      Delete
  4. I'm crazy about this dress pattern and every new finished version gives me pangs. These two are great! I think I'm ever so slightly more drawn to the blue and white.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I've just googled it, there's lots of really nice variations. I might have to make one with a collar next time!

      Delete
  5. I love both dresses, but my favourite is the floral print. The pattern with the keyhole neckline is super cute and looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I saw this pattern in my local fabric shop today and had to do a Google image search as soon as I got home.
    It's always nice to see garments on women who have a similar shape to me, although you are slightly tinier than me.

    ReplyDelete