"" The girl who makes things: Lazy Sunday Sewing

Sunday, 8 June 2014

Lazy Sunday Sewing

Evening folks, I hope your Sunday is treating you well. After the deluge of rain yesterday, the weather's improved and we've actually had some sun! After a busy two weeks I've been lucky enough to kick back, have a pint of cider and enjoy the sun in a beer garden today. I've also managed to do a lil' bit of sewing for my summer wardrobe. So here is my latest make, a kimono:



This is what my mother would call a bit of  'frippery': an aesthetically pleasing garment with no real use or purpose. Bring on the frippery I say! I've seen a few of these kimono style jackets wandering around the high street and I've had a hankering for making one. They're pretty, ultra feminine and a good cover up for when the sun comes out. They're also very straight forward to make. No fitting needed.


The pattern is Butterick B4072 and has been in my stash for a long time. I think I bought it years ago when I was a teenager and had romantic notions of making a silk kimono style dressing gown (this might have been shortly after I read Memoirs of a Geisha). The fabric is a floaty polyester print bought from B&M fabrics in Leeds Market. It cost about £2 per metre so it was cheap enough to play around with.


I didn't bother with lining, all the seams are overlocked and there's an interfaced yoke around the opening. As a result, it took about a morning to put together. I had the idea to fringe to the hem for extra bohemian swish, but decided against this as the print's dramatic enough it is. The only change I made to the pattern was that I cropped the sleeves by about 20cm. Everything else was to the envelope.


In other news, I managed to achieve a long standing ambition to meet other sewing bloggers yesterday. This is why I love the internet. Where else would I find amazing, like-minded women who share my passion for sewing? I met up with Amy, Ruth, Louise, Amy and Sarah on Saturday for some Leeds fabric shopping and lunch. It was such a lovely day out and I hope it'll be repeated. If you're reading this and you're a sewer living in the North of England then please do get in touch and join us!

Embedded image permalink

So that's my Sunday over and done with - back to the grind tomorrow. Hope you have a lovely evening and a not too stressful week ahead.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely Rachael! I've added you my bloglovin now so I get to see all your gorgeous makes. It was really fun yesterday, Amy gave us a very informative tour of Leeds markets and it was great to natter. I'm kind of thinking a cocktail party would be fun where we all get to wear nice dresses?? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I've started following you too. Yes, a night out sounds ace - we should also do Bombay Stores in Bradford. Ooo I'm excited!

      Delete
  2. Excellent stuff. Frippery is fun! It was so lovely meeting you in person yesterday and I definitely think it needs repeating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! It was so nice, thanks for inviting me.

      Delete
  3. That's really pretty! Glad you made it along to a meetup, it's so fun to meet other sewists. Are you coming to Minerva next weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! Yes, I'm definitely thinking about it, it'd be good to meet more people from the sewing world.

      Delete
  4. Which fabric shops did you go to? Love the latest creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie! We mostly stayed in Leeds Market and perused haberdashery and fabric stalls in there. We had a look around Samuel Taylors too. Do you live in Leeds?

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! I love the print & style of your kimono - soo feminie! Fabric shopping & having lunch with sewing ladies - a Saturday couldn't get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely! Looks super comfortable too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous, not frippery at all! I love the fabric, and I'm all for things that require no fitting!

    ReplyDelete