"" The girl who makes things: An Archer Shirt + some exciting news

Thursday, 27 August 2015

An Archer Shirt + some exciting news

Afternoon all! I hope you're well and not getting too dismayed by this soggy excuse for an English summer. Yorkshire is looking pretty sunny today - let's see how long it lasts. I've got a little piece of exciting news PLUS a new make to share with you.

First things first, the news: I'm joining the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network!

So what does this mean for my diddy blog? Well, Minerva Crafts will send me a 'kit' each month consisting of a pattern, fabric and notions which I'll use to make an item of clothing. I'll then review the products and post pictures of my finished items, just like I usually do. All opinions will of course be me own.

I'm very excited about joining the network as I first got into sewing blogs through finding other bloggers on Minerva's website. I've also bought products from them and attended the open day last year, which was an absolute blast. My first Minerva make will go live in October so keep your eyes peeled!

Now, for the my latest make: yes, it's an Archer Shirt.


I think I've already eulogised enough about my love for shirt making, but hey-ho, I'll say it again - I love shirt making! The Archer has been sitting in my PDF pattern queue since March this year so I felt like it was high time I used it this summer.


The first thing I'll say about this pattern is, heck, there's a lot of pattern pieces for one shirt. I cannot fault Jenny from Grainline Studios on her impeccable drafting, but piecing together the PDF took such a loooong time. And that's before I started cutting out the fabric. Despite all the faff, though, I can see how this pattern works well for the perfectionist seamstress - the two front pattern pieces are ideal for pattern matching checks.


Once I'd got passed the prep stage, sewing the shirt was actually fairly straightforward. The instructions were clear and the sew along added extra detail to the trickier stages (for me, the sleeve plackets).


The fabric came from B&M Fabrics in Leeds Market. The feather print sang out to me from the racks (I have a thing for feathers) so I knew I had to buy some, although I didn't have the Archer in mind at the time. The weight of the fabric and pattern went well together, although now I look at it, I slightly regret not using the fabric to make an Alder shirtdress instead. I wonder if the Archer is better as a plain or checked shirt? I guess time will tell whether I wear it much.


So that's my latest and last make before I head back to Portugal for another academic year. Time has gone like the speed of light this summer. I'm going to miss the UK, my friends and family but not the weather! The weather can stick it. Adeus os meus amigos! See you on the other side.


4 comments:

  1. I personally like this much more than a checked shirt! Congratulations on the minerva news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shirt, the fit looks great. I was at minerva last week, so much to chose from, sadly they said the had no plans for another meet up as it had taken a year to plan. Congratulations on joining the bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh that's sad that there won't be another meet up. Maybe there'll be one next year

      Delete